Creative Whirlwind Part 2 - The Dust has Settled

I have had to wait a little while before writing part 2 of this post, until  a couple of pieces had been presented to their new owners, I don't want to spoil the surprise!

I used the wild geranium flowers on two bespoke pieces, the first one was my contribution to the leaving collection for my sons teacher at the village school. I wanted the design to represent the community the school is within & symbolise our children learning, growing & spreading their wings. The wild geranium (also know as meadow cranesbill) was a perfect base for the design as the local bridleway was covered in it during the summer term, and to this I added  busy bumble bees and butterflies. The bee was based on a lovely chap I snapped in the flower borders at Aston Pottery & all the butterflies I found on the village bridleway, Comma, Tortoiseshell & Ringlet butterflies. The final touch was to add a printed layer with the names of all the class 1 children on it using a light blue background matching the blue from the school uniform.

Ringlet Butterfly

Ringlet Butterfly

Bumble Bee From Aston Pottery

Bumble Bee From Aston Pottery

Comma Butterfly

Comma Butterfly

Tortoiseshell Butterfly on meadow cranesbill (wild geranium)

Tortoiseshell Butterfly on meadow cranesbill (wild geranium)

 

The second design was a little more tricky. I had been commissioned to make a wedding wall art card from the parents of the bride. The client has had one of our  hand cut wall art cards for his other daughter the year before and was looking for something similar in pale pink, using our Lovely Doves card as a base. Simple I thought, hang the bird cage from a tree, but it just was not working, I must have tried half a dozen options and it just looked awkward & contrived, the tree fighting with the bird cage, so taking my own advice from my A Little Bit of Space blog post, I parked it to one side for a few weeks and got on with some other commissions. During this time I completed the school commission and it all clicked in to place, the stripes that formed the petals of the meadow cranesbill complimented the stripes of the birdcage. A few amendments to the legs of the cage helped to pull it together and all of a sudden the designed worked!

Measuring 20cm x 25cm, mounted up on daler board to make a solid piece for framing  with some lovely 3D flowers & bees

Measuring 20cm x 25cm, mounted up on daler board to make a solid piece for framing  with some lovely 3D flowers & bees

The finished design measured 21cm x 21 cm, a paper cut with prined detail underneath

The finished design measured 21cm x 21 cm, a paper cut with prined detail underneath

Had to add a little 3D element - fluttering butterflies

Had to add a little 3D element - fluttering butterflies